“We were asking the Lord for the keys to reaching our town”
Watch my interview with Jen in Thailand. (click on the picture) Two options here. First, you can simply enjoy Jen’s story and what God is doing through the Church 101 Course. Or, second, you can turn this into a much deeper learning opportunity by reading the six insights below into church and church planting and by watching the videos I reference. Ask the Lord which one He wants you do do.
Six insights into church and church planting
At the center of all this, Christ rules the church. The church, you see, is not peripheral to the world; the world is peripheral to the church. The church is Christ’s body in which he speaks and acts, by which he fills everything with his presence. Eph. 1:22, 23 (The Message)
You will notice that Jen refers to all she is learning on the LK10 website. She is mainly referring to the Library. Here you will find over 300 articles on all of the things the Lord has taught us about church and church planting. There is literally a seminary education available for anyone willing to do the work.
- Start with the 10:2b Prayer. To me, it is quite remarkable that the Lord has connected us with an Australian lady in Thailand. This follows the pattern of the Lord connecting us with key people in countries all over the world. (Russia, Germany, France, Australia, etc) The only explanation as far as I can tell is that we pray the 10:2b Prayer. (Lk 10:2) The result is that the Lord of the harvest gets all the glory as He connects us with these God-prepared people. If there is something in your heart about seeing the Kingdom expand in your city or country, this is the place to start! For more on the 10:2b Prayer, go here.
- God-prepared people. Notice how the Lord had prepared the way before we ever connected with Jen. She and her husband and family were already in Thailand and had a heart for the Thai people. Specifically, they had a heart to reach the people in their town. They already had gone to Acts to see what the church was in the beginning. They had come to the conclusion that churches met in homes and functioned like small family-like groups. They had already started their own house church. And, they were already asking God “Where do we go from here? How do we reach this community?” All this to say, that the Lord had already been at work preparing this small group of people. For more on this, go here
- Church starts with just two people. In one sense, this statement is both simple and obvious. In another sense, it is revolutionary. If we can learn to “do church” with just two people (especially a husband and wife), everything else flows from this. Jen said: “Wayne and I have been doing it (CO2 – Church of Two) every day for about three weeks now.” Here’s the principle: “The marriage, and then the family, is the first and most foundational expression of church.” For more, go here.
- Children are full participants in church. In traditional church, children are generally either unengaged or dismissed to some sort of children’s program. But, once they learn the simple “rhythms of attention”, they love actively participating in church. Sean Hyatt shares about his 7 and 10 year old boys leading church here.
- “I wanted to translate Church 101 into Thai.” This kind of thing seems to be happening spontaneously in many countries. There is already a fully developed French version of Church 101. Also, work is being done in German, Russian and Filipino. We have no program or strategy to see this happen. God just speaks to people about doing this. Amazing!
- “I think God has something to teach me in this!” This statement comes from a Thai lady who is “one thousand percent Buddhist” and who is going to help Jen translate Church 101. This lady may very well be one of the “persons of peace” that Jesus told his church planters to look for. Once again, the 10:2b Prayer becomes the key to connecting with God-prepared people whether they are Christians or not. For more, go here
Share your comments and questions in the “Leave a Reply” section below…