The objective of the Leader 101 Course is to cultivate the habits of highly effective spiritual leaders. We started last month (June 2015) with cultivating the habit of joy. As we move to a new habit for July, remember that joy is foundational to everything else that we do. So, continue the spiritual disciplines you began in June. All of the articles on joy can be found here.
The content of the Leader 101 Course is being made available to everyone in the LK10 Community (ie, those who have subscribed to the LK10 Newsletter). However, the best learning takes place in the context of “communities of practice”. We call these, Leader Teams. To find out more about Leader Teams and to apply, click here.
LESSON TWO (July): Cultivating the habit of praying the 10:2b prayer
(Our learning process in LK10 always starts with our relationship with the Holy Spirit as our Coach (Paraclete) He is the One who leads us into all truth. So, read until He stops you. Use that as the beginning point for dialogue with Him. Repeat.)
EIGHT INSIGHTS INTO HOW TO PRAY 10:2B
Note: Start by watching the video below and follow along with this outline.
- Enter into the attitude of the Widow Lady (Lk 18) and the man knocking on the door at midnight (Lk11). Forceful. Insistent. Fierce. Determined. Relentless. “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.” (Lk 18:1)
- Understand the reason Jesus commanded this prayer. This prayer is not for God’s benefit, as though He needs to be reminded. It is for our benefit. It is part of God’s training program for us. Relentless praying changes us, not God. “(God) did not ordain prayer primarily as a way of getting things done. It is His way of giving the Church “on-the-job” training in overcoming the forces hostile to God. This world is a laboratory in which those destined for the throne are learning in actual practice how to overcome Satan and his hierarchy. The prayer closet is the arena which produces the overcomer.” Billheimer, Destined for the Throne, p. 11.
- Enter into dialogue not monologue. “Beseeching” is simply the starting place for a daily one to one conversation with the Lord of the harvest. As we listen (and write!) as well as ask, we hear all kinds of things. 10:2b answers to give thanks for, specific people or groups to ask for, directions for emails to write and phone calls to be made, etc.
- Be intentional. The Lord’s directions for me these days is 15 minutes praying 10:2b every day. I set the time on my phone for 15 minutes. I also set my phone’s alarm for 10:02 am every day as another reminder.
- Pray alone and with others. In addition to my daily 15 minutes along with the Lord, I pray 10:2b with others at every opportunity.
- Pray with your spirit and with your mind. This is what Paul did. See 1 Cor. 14:15.
- Experiment. Try different ways of praying and see what you learn.
- Share what you learn. Share 10:2b answers. The LK10 Community is a large “community of practice”. Your Leader Team is a small “community of practice”. This means that everyone is both a teacher and a learner. We need your contributions!
THREE AMAZING RESULTS WE’VE SEEN FROM PRAYING 10:2B
- 10:2B Answers. What a surprise! The Lord of the harvest actually answers the prayer that Jesus commanded and sends us “harvest workers”. (BTW, we will spend all of next month exploring what Jesus means by “workers”. What are we to look for.)
- Jesus kept track of 10:2b answers. In Matthew 10, we see that Jesus had 12 disciples that he sent (apostello) out to start churches. 12 apostolic church planters. About one year later, we see that he had 84 (72 +12) apostles (ones sent to start churches). That’s a 700% increase in one year. How did this happen? I think it is most likely that He was doing exactly what He had instructed His disciples to do. He was praying the 10:2b Prayer! (See Luke 6:40)
- The LK10 Community. My sense is that one result of 15 years of praying 10:2b is the LK10 Community. The Lord of the harvest has sent people to us from all over the world and we have trained an estimated 2500 people in the two rhythms of attention.
- Currently tracking 10:2b answers. So far for July 2015. Kept one to one appointment with the Lord of the harvest 23 of 25 days. During that time, 19 people have initiated a conversation with me. 10 have started or will start Church 101 (in addition to the US, C101 in Kenya, Germany, the Philippines. C101 group in Berlin will “guys from Germany, Cameroon, Iran, Iraq and Syria to take through C101”)
- Praying this prayer has changed me. Much greater intimacy with the Lord. Changed my eyesight. (Always looking for His answers – people of peace, apostolic church planters.) Much more missional. (Don’t tell people to be missional! Teach them to hangout every day with the Lord of the harvest. Missional is the natural by-product.) See Kenny’s video below.
- “God does the heavy lifting” (thank you, Kenny!) and therefore, He gets the glory. Contrast with well intentioned but man-made programs to fulfill the Great Commission. (Big buildings, big bureaucracy, big media, big budgets, high profile spokespeople, strategic marketing, etc.) “God is not looking for people to work for him, so much as he is looking for people who will let him work for them. The gospel is not a Help Wanted ad. Neither is the call to Christian service. On the contrary, the gospel command us to give up and hang out a Help Wanted sign (this is the basic meaning of prayer). Then the gospel promises that God will work for us if we do. He will not surrender the glory of being the Giver.” Piper, Desiring God, p. 140